(Not For Sale series)
"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
~ Margaret Mead
At this moment in time there are an estimated 27 million people in conditions that constitute slavery. This means that there are more than people in bondage today than there ever were during the 300 years of the Transatlantic Slave Trade. These numbers leave us to ask just what century we live in?
When Lincoln freed the slaves during the American Civil War he restated the natural state of mankind was to be free. It is a well known fact throughout mankind that we are born with the desire for freedom. We are created with a soul that yearns for freedom. So how can we today tolerate even one person being denied this most natural right?
Many are left to ask themselves, "I'm just one person, what could I do to ever make any real change?"
What many of us are unaware of is that there are organization across the world uniting individuals like us to create the change we desire to see. These are NGOs and charities that are fighting the good fight. They are organizations that can take your intent to create change and apply it where it is most effective.
These are just a few:
- The A21 Campaign, http://www.thea21campaign.org/content/the-facts/gjekag
- Agape International Missions, http://agapewebsite.org/about/
- Center to End All Sexual Exploitation (CEASE), http://www.ceasenow.org/
- Made By Survivors, http://www.madebysurvivors.com/about-us
- Happy Horizons Children's Ranch, http://www.hhcr.org/from-the-founders/our-mission/
- La Strada International, http://lastradainternational.org/?main=home
- Polaris Project, http://www.polarisproject.org/
- Not For Sale Campaign, http://www.notforsalecampaign.org/
- RedLight Children, http://redlightchildren.org/
- Stop the Traffik, http://www.stopthetraffik.org/default.aspx
- The Defender Foundation, http://thedefenderfoundation.org/
- End It, http://enditmovement.com/
The average age of a trafficking victim is only 12 years old when they are initially sold. Their predators rarely face jail time (1 in 100,000 European traffickers ever face a judge). And for most, the only way out of bondage is death.
“You may choose to look the other way but you can never say again that you did not know."
~ William Wilberforce
As long as even one of us is left in the bondage of slavery, none of us are ever truly free. Join the fight. Help liberate your fellow man from one of the most destructive crimes our modern world currently faces.